POSITION: OUTREACH COORDINATOR
Baton Rouge, LA
(posted February 23, 2015 – March 16, 2015)
Louisiana Wildlife Federation (LWF), a statewide organization representing a broad constituency of conservationists including hunters, anglers, campers, birders, boaters, and other outdoor enthusiasts who believe in conservation and protection of our state's natural resources, is seeking a dynamic and dedicated individual to serve as the LWF Outreach Coordinator.
Since 2010, LWF has built a broad constituency of Louisiana sportsmen and other wildlife enthusiasts in support of large-scale strategies to restore Louisiana’s coast to a sustainable ecosystem. The Outreach Coordinator will continue to enhance and strengthen this outreach effort by identifying and engaging sportsmen and other members of the conservation community to work with state and federal officials to gain their support for restoration strategies. LWF supports coastal restoration strategies that include implementation of large river diversions and sediment distribution to rebuild wetlands and natural coastal barriers, and prudent application of standards to prevent land loss and sustain coastal communities. Emphasis will be on the habitat benefits of restoration to fish and wildlife, and people.
Primary responsibilities will include:
· Supporting the Louisiana Camouflage Coalition by promoting participation, updating the lacamo.org website with educational content and relevant action items as they emerge, and maintaining the database of subscribers. This will also include updating social media accounts and cross posting on social media.
· Developing and implementing advocacy campaigns, utilizing the Camo Coalition structure and partnership with Vanishing Paradise initiatives when appropriate. This includes establishing regular communication with a network of grassroots and grasstops stakeholders. This will include creating and pursuing a vigorous schedule of presentations to hunting, fishing and other conservation-oriented clubs; speaking at conferences, public meetings, and other social and professional events where sportsmen and outdoor enthusiasts are attending; and tabling at outdoor shows, fundraising banquets and other outreach opportunities. Extensive travel around the state will be required.
· Supporting policy position development and analysis, including writing letters of comment and position statements, with assistance from other staff and volunteer leaders. This will also include providing comment at public meetings and hearings when relevant.
· Coordinating outreach to business owners, community leaders, media contacts, and policy makers. This could include in-office meetings with agency representatives and/or educational trips or tours including but not limited to fishing and hunting trips on the coast and/or media tours.
· Working collaboratively with local, state and national organizations with an interest in coastal restoration.
· Bringing environmental and coastal issues to the attention of the LWF Executive Director and working with relevant LWF committees on these issues.
· Generating earned media including print stories and radio and TV interviews from outlets throughout Louisiana. This also could include writing letters to the editor and guest posts on blog sites.
· Working with the Executive Director to identify and integrate fundraising opportunities through outreach work focused on coastal restoration and sportsmen engagement.
· B.A. or B.S. required; degree in environmental science, natural resource management, ecology, fisheries, political science, communications or related field preferred. Demonstrated knowledge of the challenges of coastal land loss and coastal restoration in Louisiana required
· Strong organizational skills and the ability to set priorities and follow through to achieve the goals of the program.
· Strong oral and written communication skills and comfort with public speaking; an outgoing and engaging personality.
· Experience in motivating, training, recruiting, and organizing people from broad and diverse backgrounds, including sportsmen, media and decision makers.
· Proficiency with social media required. Website content management experience desired.
· Proficiency with word processing, maintaining databases and PowerPoint software is required.
The Outreach Coordinator will work out of the Louisiana Wildlife Federation (LWF) office in Baton Rouge and report to the LWF Executive Director. The Outreach Coordinator will be part of an integral team of organizations working to restore the Mississippi River Delta. Those groups include but are not limited to the National Wildlife Federation, National Audubon Society and Environmental Defense Fund. The assignment will be for 2 years with potential for renewal depending on funding availability.
SALARY & BENEFITS
Salary ($45,000 - $50,000) dependent on experience. Benefits include a contribution toward the health insurance coverage of the employee’s choice, contribution to a retirement plan of the employee’ s choice, specified paid holidays, sick days and vacation days.
Please email a cover letter and resume including availability date, salary expectations, and a list of references from previous employers. Apply only if you have the skills, experience and qualifications described above. Resumes will be considered until March 16, 2015 or the position is filled. Applications may be emailed to Rebecca Triche, Executive Director, Louisiana Wildlife Federation at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Louisiana Wildlife Federation is an equal opportunity employer.
Learn more about the LWF at www.lawildlifefed.org/.